The Private Equity Secondary Market
Private equity’s secondary market has experienced rapid growth over the last decade as the private equity asset class has grown and evolved. Secondary transaction volumes set a new record in 2017 and the market is expected to remain buoyant for some years to come. This paper provides an overview of the market: its key actors and their motivations, and recent developments in pricing, volumes, and transaction types. It also provides Coller Capital’s comments on current market trends. Specific topics include:
- The evolution of the market
- Why investors commit to secondary funds
- Why investors sell assets in the secondary market
- Types of secondary transaction
- Pricing development and the current environment
The paper is available to download here.