The Private Equity Secondary Market
Private equity’s secondary market has grown and evolved at an unprecedented rate over the past decade, tracking the rapid expansion of the primary market. Secondary transaction volumes set a new record in 2014, and have remained broadly at the same level since then.
This paper provides an overview of the market: its key actors and their motivations, and recent developments in pricing, volumes, and transaction types. It also provides Coller Capital’s comments on current market trends.
Specific topics include:
- The evolution of the market
- Why investors commit to secondary funds
- Why investors sell assets in the secondary market
- Types of secondary transaction
- Pricing development and the current environment
The paper is available to download here.